6th March 1917

At Kingston. Preparations were soon in progress this morning for going to sea. Ship was unmoored, boats hoisted in and secured, steam raised, etc, etc. The postman – one of the “boys” – went ashore this morning and was able to go and see our friends for the last time this side of the Atlantic. He said both the ladies were showing signs of distress when he left them.

This fellow was the first of all of us to get in touch with these folks who have proved such good friends. He was walking in the main street one day soon after our first arrival at Kingston, when he was stopped by the young lady now known to us as “Ginger”. She spoke to him and invited him to her house, which invitation he accepted. In due course he was introduced to the other ladies and told to bring along others, which he did, as you know, but one never would have thought such good fellowship would have resulted amongst such strangers.

It was only right in consequence that he should be the last to see these people. Even the black widow-servant engaged by “Ginger” and “Auntie” was “ent up” because of our departure, for we have had some good fun over Anita, as she is called. She says “Oh! Missus, it will be so sad and quiet without these nice boys”.

“Auntie” and “Ginger” expect to leave Kingston on Mar. 25th in the S.S. Kavina. They hope to see us again in England and talk of a “general assembly” after the war. “Auntie” is talking about going in for a nurse, as she already possesses a good knowledge of such work. “Ginger” has also done probation in nursing and may go back to it again in England, more because she wants to do something “for the war” than for any other reason. I should think both of them would make jolly fine nurses, anyhow.

The yacht Warrior, which has been taken over by the Admiralty and allowing the owner (Mr. Cochran) to assume rank of Commander R. N. R. , went out at 10-30 p.m. A crew and one officer went to her a few days ago and will man her until the crew from England arrives. We sailed at noon, and it was with sad thoughts that we took our departure. We overhauled and passed the yacht in the evening, she falling into line astern of our ship. A notice was put up on the board this evening stating that “Roxburgh is proceeding to Bermuda, passing through the Caicos Passage, and arriving with the Warrior probably on Saturday night”.

The “boys” have been gathered together in two’s and three’s tonight talking of the folks at Kingston and of the past happy evenings spent with them. I expect No. 68 Church St., Kingston is a sad, sad house tonight. The more one thinks of these people, so the more praise is given them, and the more one hopes to meet them again.

This entry was posted in At sea, Kingston (Jamaica). Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *