At Plymouth. We went up the Hamoaze at 8-30 a.m. and secured to No. 6 Buoy. This latter business strikes me as being a wee bit ominous, for if we had come here for leave I think we should have gone alongside the wall.
Soon after securing to the buoy I had to hustle down into the “infectious boat” with the Major, his servant and “tons” of baggage. We spun off to Hospital. I had orders to return by the 11-30 a.m. boat, but as it was 11-40 a.m. when I left the R. N. H. with the servant duly disinfected and considered free from infection, I could not very well get to the Flagstaff Steps by 11-30 a.m. – unless tomorrow would do as well. Knowing that another boat would be leaving the Steps at 1-30 p.m. I decided to run home quick.
I walked to No. 82 in 20 mins and gave the folks a surprise. I met my old friend Beattie going down Wesborough Rd and she was not sure whether it was me or not but gave two hard stares and went on towards her home. I caught her up and, of course, spoke to her.
I found Ma, Jude, Ethel and Mrs. Rowe at home all merry and bright. The letter I sent to Ma arrived about 10 mins after I did – hence their surprise at seeing me walk in. I did not have long with them but had to go to Friary and catch the 12-57 p.m. train to Devonport. It was 1-15 p.m. when that Station was reached so I had to hurry to get to the Steps by 1-30 p.m. but managed it O.K.
The men were coaling when I arrived aboard , having to get in 933 tons then. I made enquiries about leave, but nothing hopeful was granted me. A notice on the board states “Roxburgh‘s movements are not certain, but Admiralty orders are expected soon. A telegram has been sent to the Admiralty for leave as no long leave has ben granted since August last”. So this does not look much to build up hopes on.
Late this afternoon permission was given for men not coaling to go ashore. As I have been ashore today I have elected to remain until the coaling is finished and so give Munday a chance to get ashore early.
8 p.m. Just going ashore.